The University of Utah's Department of Physics & Astronomy is committed to pursuing key science questions within an inclusive academic community, to training and diversifying the next generation of researchers, educators, and technology workforce leaders, and inspiring an appreciation for knowledge in students and the wider community.
In pursuit of this mission, the department supports the highest levels of research and teaching among its faculty members. We strive to enable the success of undergraduate and graduate students by creating an academically excellent, efficient, and comfortable learning environment. Our goal is that organizations and individuals in the local and global community will benefit from our research and accomplishments.
Our Research Areas
Our research is split into two separate factions, experimental and theoretical. Click here to learn more about our overall research.
Our Academic Programs
To learn more, check out our Undergraduate Handbook.
|1915|| The first observatory was built on campus. It was later torn down in the late 1960s
to build the current James Fletcher
|1921|| Thomas J. Parmley was awarded the first physics degree in the department in 1921.
He went on to become a Professor of
Physics at the University of Utah and retired in 1997. It is estimated he taught more than 50,000 students.
|1927|| The Department of Physics was officially founded, consisting of Professor Orin Tugman
(Chair), Professor Thomas Parmley,
an undergraduate student as a lab assistant, and one secretary.
|1931 - 1987|| J. Irvin Swigart, Professor of Physics, joined the department. The lecture hall
in the James Fletcher Building (JFB 101) was
named for him, and his portrait hangs in the lecture hall. It is estimated that he taught over 40,000 students.
|Oct. 4, 1957|| Russia launched Sputnik and physics as a discipline became more important. Physics
Departments across the U.S. began
expanding, and jobs in physics became more in demand.
|1959||Jack Keuffel joined the faculty.|
|1961||The Engineering Hall changed its name to the South Physics building and the Physics Department moved into the building.|
|Autumn 1967||The first classes were held in the newly built James Fletcher Building.|
|1970||The College of Science was formed--previously it was part of the College of Letters and Science.|
|1974||Don Groom discovered new nova, initiating astronomy research.|
|July 2005 - Now||Z. Valy Vardeny appointed Director of the Dixon Laser Institute.|
|March 2009||"Department of Physics" changed to the "Department of Physics & Astronomy."|
|May 2009|| Million-dollar renovation project started on JFB, SP, and on the 4th floor of INSCC.
The renovation added five research labs,
|August 2009|| Adam Bolton and Inese Ivans joined the faculty as tenure-track assistant professors.
Doug Bergman joined the faculty as a
tenure-track associate professor. Gordon Thomson joined the faculty as a tenured full professor and was named the first
Keuffel Endowed Chair.
|January 2010||Shanti Deemyad, Saveez Saffarian, and Michael Vershinin joined the department as tenure-track assistant professors.|
|2011||Pearl Sandick, Anil Seth, and Zheng Zheng joined the department as tenure-track assistant professors.|
|August 2012||Dmytro Pesin joined the department as a tenure-track assistant professor.|
|Fall 2013||Vikram Deshpande and Sarah Li joined the department as tenure-track assistant professors.|
|Fall 2017||Daniel Wik and Gail Zasowski joined the department as a tenure-track assistant professors.|
Claudia De Grandi and Yue Zhao joined the department. Dr. De Grandi as an assistant
professor (lecturer), and Dr. Zhao as
Ramón Barthelemy joined the department as an assistant professor, focusing on the
U's PER (Physics Education Research)
Carsten Rott joined the department as professor of physics and astronomy. His research is on understanding the origins of high energy neutrinos. Rott was also appointed to the Jack W. Keuffel Memorial Chair after the retirement of Gordon Thomson. Rott will hold the chair through December 2025.